Here are all you need to know about the United Arab Emirate Visa. The United Arab Emirates is located along the eastern coast of the Arabian Peninsula, and it is a federation of seven Emirates.
Known amongst other countries for its rich possession of Crude Oil, the middle-eastern country has gained attention from the rest of the world.
Now it is known to be one of the most visited tourist destinations in the world due to its rising economy and remarkable cities.
Across the world, a lot of people make the effort to obtain a United Arab Emirates visa especially here in Nigeria.
Being the second most visited tourist destination in the whole of the Middle East, getting a UAE Visa is something everyone wants to do.
A Dubai Visa process has become very sought after by many Nigerians, being one of the wealthiest of the seven emirates that constitute the federation.
The urge to visit the popular Burj Khalifa Hotel situated in Dubai alone has got foreigners queuing on a delay to get a visa.
With its many treasures, the United Arab Emirates has a lot to offer both its citizens and foreigners alike.
Although the stay is usually short with a period of 30 days and UAE visa expires in 90 days.
It’s not far-fetched why many people would want to travel to the United Arab Emirates. Question is, how can one get a visa from Nigeria?
Why Do I Need a UAE Visa as a Nigerian?
Nigeria falls into the category of other nations that require a visa before being allowed entry into the United Arab Emirates.
Yes, not all countries require visas to gain access into the Emirate federation. Countries like Austria, Palestine and the Bahamas are visa-free.
Although this is mostly purely political and also dependent on the relationship between the United Arab Emirates and the secondary country.
Those who wish to travel to the United Arab Emirates must have a visa before making a trip. This can only be waived if they are from one of the visa-free countries or one of the countries whose citizens are eligible for visas on arrival.
Travelers from member countries of the Gulf Cooperation Council (G.C.C.) have freedom of movement in the UAE.
Foreigners visiting the United Arab Emirates must hold a passport valid for at least 6 months. Nationals of the Gulf Cooperation Council need to only show their government-issued ID card.
The UAE visa and permit system works according to some set of rules and regulations.
These rules and regulations are set by the Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship, Customs and Port Security (ICA) and its affiliated Directorates of Residency and Foreigners Affairs in each emirate.
How Long am I Allowed to Stay in the UAE with a Visa?
UAE visas have a certain validity period upon entry and this depends on the type of permit issued.
The validity permit for visit visas, tourist visas and/or employment visas is 60 days from the issue date. However, the validity of entry permits for G.C.C. residents are 30 days from the issue date.
How Do I Get A UAE Visa?
You can get a United Arab Emirate visa either physically or by applying online (e-Visa). Nigerians must take into consideration all the aspects offered by the e-Visa.
If the electronic visa does not fit their plans, and they intend to gain access into the United Arab Emirates for a permanent relocation whether in search of employment or other purposes, they should organize a visit to the Embassy of the UAE in Abuja.
The UAE does not issue visas through embassies the usual way other countries grant visas. You aren’t allowed to submit a visa application yourself, it is required that you have a sponsor in the UAE.
You can also apply via an authorized agent that would submit on your behalf. An authorized agent could be either of the following:
- A person who currently lives in the UAE.
- A licensed travel agency: You can get travel agencies in Nigeria who are collaborating with a local tour guide operating in the UAE. You’ll need to be sure that the travel agency is a reputable one.
- The hotel where you wish to lodge.
- Any of the following airlines, provided that you will fly with them – Etihad Airways, Emirates Airline, Air Arabia, and FlyDubai.
The following are the steps to take when applying for a UAE visa:
Step 1 – Determine your Visa type: You first need to know the visa type you wish to apply for, and check whether you’re eligible to apply for it. The different types of visas are:
- 30-day Tourist Visa: This is meant for tourists and has a validity of 58 days from the date of its issue and grants to the holder an entry permit of 30 days to visit.
- 90-Day Tourist Visa: This is meant for tourists and grants to the holder an entry permit of 90 days to visit.
- Service / 14 Days Visa: This is meant for foreigners who wish to stay in the United Arab Emirates for up to 14 days and also has confirmed return tickets or tickets to some other destination on Emirates airlines. This is mostly used by Company representatives or those who need to visit the UAE for some commercial purpose.
- Entry Permit for Patients and their Companions: This is meant for foreign patients who need to visit Dubai for treatment.
- E-Visa for Residents from GCC: This is meant for the Gulf Cooperation Council Residents and their companions.
- Transit Visa: There are two different types in this visa; a 48-hour visa and a 96-hour visa. It is a non-extendable visa type that is sponsored by airlines based in Dubai.
- Student Visa: This visa is meant for aspiring students who wish to study in Colleges and Universities in the UAE. Student Visa is issued for a year stay, and can be renewed provided there is proof the student will be continuing school.
Step 2 – Begin your application: At this point, your sponsor needs to download the Visa application form, and fill and print it. Afterwards, they’ll have to take it to a Visa Application Center alongside the required documents for the chosen visa category and submit it.
Step 3 – Book an Appointment
Step 4 – Pay the Fees
Step 5 – Attend Scheduled Appointment
Step 6 – Track your Application.
How Much Does It Cost to Obtain the UAE Visa?
The fees for getting a visa is actually dependent on the travel agent you use. Fees differ based on who it is obtained from, be it a local tourist agent or airline. It is very important that you do proper findings before paying an agent fee to get a visa. Best bet is to have a sponsor already in the UAE.
What Documents are Required to Apply for a Visa?
- Depending on the visa type, different documents are required. Generally you are required to have several documents to support your application, such as:
- Photocopies of your passport and the passport of your sponsor with at least 6 months validity.
- Passport photographs in line with the UAE visa photo requirements.
- If you are a female traveling alone: A No Objection Certificate (NOC) from your father or husband.
- Proof of accommodation, such as your hotel.
- A confirmed round-trip airline ticket and return ticket. In case you are applying via an airline, the price ticket needs to be from that airline.
- Proof of paid travel health insurance in the UAE.
- A letter from you, pointing out the reason and period of your visit.
- Proof of legal residence in your country (i.e. your visa or residence permit). This applies if you aren’t a citizen of the country in which you are residing.
If you have a host:
- Proof of your relationship to the host
- Their residential status: proof of your host’s UAE Resident Visa and/or their Emirates identification
- Evidence of financial status: certified copy of your host’s work agreement or their earnings certificate
Proof of previous travels:
- If you have been to the UAE in the last year, submit copies of the entry and exit stamps on your passport.
- Copies of Visas you’ve acquired in the past five years, either to the United Kingdom, Canada, America, Australia, Russia, New Zealand, or any of the Schengen countries.
You may also be required to provide:
- Proof of your funds
- Proof of your current address
- Marriage certificate
Any extra files required by the relevant authorities issuing the visa in Dubai/UAE. Such as:
- Offer of Admission letter from the UAE college you applied to.
- Proof of undergraduate degree
- Tuition fees receipt.
Can I Extend my Stay after the Expiration of my Current Visa?
Yes, you can extend almost any UAE visa or entry permit at a maximum of two times, each for 30 additional days and for a fee of AED600($164).
You’ll have to apply for a visa extension before your current visa expires though, else you’ll be fined for overstaying.
You can not apply for a United Arab Emirate visa extension if you hold a special entry permit, or you have a 96-hour permit for special missions.
What is the Minimum Bank Balance to Gain Visas into the United Arab Emirates?
In order to be given a visa by the UAE, the minimum bank balance is AED3000($820).
A visitor might end up spending more than the required amount depending on the purpose of the visa.
For example, an individual whose visa is on a medical basis will most likely require more due to the medical bills as the duration is dependent on the improvement of the patient.
The process of obtaining a visa for most countries is done by the embassies of those countries. But that of the United Arab Emirates is quite different.
Right from the beginning of this article, we have been made to understand that the UAE is being structured in a way different from others.
Their policies are made by the Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship, Customs and Port Security (ICA) and also its affiliated Directorates of Residency and Foreigners Affairs.
As it stands, the United Arab Emirates doesn’t offer permanent residency to foreigners. One of the few countries that have that order.
It’s no surprise though, considering the level of growth her economy has attained and her projections for the future.
Gaining access to this middle-eastern country can only be on a temporary basis as we have seen in the article.
Nevertheless, one can still very much have a good time on tourism, study in one of their universities, work even if it is for a short period of time and receive medical care from their hospitals.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take to obtain a UAE visa?
- With all the necessary documents intact and all the information needed duly furnished, the visa is sent within four working days.
How is the Visa received by an individual?
- An individual’s visa is sent to the e-mail address that the applicant provides in the visa application form.
Is it required to get Visa for children and Infants?
- Yes, it is required by all individuals whether adults, children and infants to have a visa.
What is the Security Deposit that has to be made?
- A refundable amount residents of certain countries ought to pay is known as a security deposit. Once the resident has left the United Arab Emirates, the amount is refunded. The process takes about four working days after your departure from the UAE.
Can I cancel my UAE Visa?
- No, the UAE embassy does not cancel visas. Only the individual that sponsors your visa has the authorization to cancel it. Without cancellation of your previous visa, you cannot get a new UAE visa, so you cannot visit the United Arab Emirates.
How does an entry permit differ from residence Visa?
- Entry permit refers to permission via the government of the UAE for particular reasons and time durations. A Residence visa, on the other hand, is obtained by people of foreign nationality who have already been living in the UAE on the basis of an entry permit to continue living for extended periods of time.
Also see – How to relocate to Canada from Nigeria 2022